Thursday 3 December 2015

Blogmas Day 3 || English Christmas Traditions

So as you may already know there are quite a few Christmas Traditions we have here in England/the UK, so I decided to share some of them.

disclaimer // the photos I have used are not mine I found them on google images
disclaimer #2 // I am not saying these 'traditions' originated from England, they are just widely used and done at Christmas time

1. Christmas Crackers



Now I didn't realise this was pretty much exclusively from the UK until one of the YouTubers I watched (I can't remember who it is now) for Vlogmas a couple years ago mentioned Christmas crackers and people from other countries had no idea what they were.

Christmas crackers are the most exciting yet disappointing things to do around Christmas.  Everyone pretty much has them on Christmas day, I would say people normally do them just before the Christmas dinner/lunch.

Basically all you do is get someone to pull one end and the you pull the other until it breaks and make a BANG and whoever has the larger side 'wins' and sees what their 'gift' is inside.  This is the disappointing part as they are usually useless tacky items; there is also a really bad joke and a coloured paper hat inside.

2. Mince Pies



Now most people who don't know what mince pies are, usually think there is actual mince meat inside but it is actually a sweet pie filled with a dried fruit mixture. I don't mind mince pies that much but I do think I try to make myself like them to be honest!

3. Christmas Presents

I know a lot of European countries open their Christmas presents on Christmas Eve or open at least one on Christmas Eve.  When I found that out I was so surprised because we all have to wait till actual Christmas Day to open our Christmas presents.

4.  Carols and Christingles


I'm not sure if other countries do this as well, or if it originated in England/Britain, but I know this is an English/British Tradition.  In December especially the closer to Christmas you get, there are carol and christingle services.  In my primary school in the last two years we got to do a christingle service.

A christingle is basically an orange with four tooth picks stuck in that have dried fruit on them (we would use jelly sweets), with a candle on top and a red ribbon around the orange.  Within the christingle service carols are sang and the story of Jesus' birth is told.

5.  Christmas Dinner


For our traditional Christmas Dinner the meat is usually Turkey. We then just have a load of veg; brussel sprouts are a tradition even though a lot of people don't like them at all, parsnips, roast potatoes, carrots, turnips etc.  Then you have the extras such as stuffing, gravy, Yorkshire puddings, pigs in blankets and cranberry sauce.

We have a traditional pudding as well which is the traditional Christmas Pudding (inventive name!!) which is full of dried fruit and you cover it in brandy and set it a light before you eat it.  My brother and I don't like it, so for our pudding our Nan always buys us individual chocolate puddings with warm chocolate sauce in the middle (much better if you asked me!)


I hope you enjoyed the third Blogmas post, I am really enjoying posting Christmas-y posts everyday!  What are your countries Christmas traditions?


Georgie
xx


No comments:

Post a Comment