Sunday 7 June 2015

A Levels || Choose wisely

I decided to write another part of the series I started a couple of months ago, 'A Levels' since I am half way through now and I think it may help people understand what A Levels are actually like.  It is also fitting to the day because I go back to sixth form tomorrow *sigh*

This time I am going to write about the subjects you can choose.  This is a major opportunity to get to narrow down to 4 (for my year) but in September it is turning to 3 subjects of your choice.  Do not just choose them because they are 'easy' or because you're friend is doing it too.  Seriously, I have yet to find anyone to say any of their AS subjects were easy and that is why you need to choose what you enjoy.

A way you can go about choosing what subjects to do is looking at university courses if you have a specific idea of what you want to do and see if they have any subjects they require you to do at A Level.   Most of the time they don't but some science degrees such as biochemistry will probably require specific ones.  

The way I did it was choosing the subjects that I found interesting and ones that I was fairly good at according to my GCSE results.  I was torn between biology and home economics as my fourth subject but in the end I chose home economics because it interested me more and I did a lot better in home economics GCSE than in my biology.  I thought that I might need a science to look 'good' but I am so glad I didn't take it because you don't.  Don't feel pressured into doing a subject because you think it'll look good on your CV because any of them will.

Just understand that doing A Levels requires spending a lot of time on each of the subjects you choose to do, so that's why I am saying to choose wisely because you don't want to get 4 months into the year, not being able to swap or drop the subject and dreading each lesson, which will be about a 5th of your timetable.

But I'm not saying that it is the end of the world if you choose the wrong subject because I know many people that swapped to a different subject if they decided to do so within the first half term, but it was up to them to catch up with the work.  My decision for biology or home economics was literally decided on the morning of when I needed to let my sixth form know what I wanted to study, and it was different to the ones that I applied for, so you have a good amount of time to swap and change.

Obviously, just because I've done my AS exams and now I am about to start my A2 part does not mean I know everything about A Levels but I thought this may help some people at some point in time.  Also if I was to go back a year I would probably change some of my options if I had the choice, so I think I would have liked some advice too.

Anyway I hope everyone had a good week, I definitely did.

my emotions of this week summed up :)
Georgie
xx



No comments:

Post a Comment